Monday, March 16, 2009

Houghton's Pond


Houghton's Pond, originally uploaded by Auntie Lola.

Walking around Houghton's Pond this weekend, it was a balmy 60 degrees. So it was all the more surprising to see how much ice was left on the pond. Ice didn't get very thick this year, although we did have some bitterly cold days, they were punctuated by warm days, which prevents the ice from getting very thick.

I always wonder at the old engravings by Currier and Ives and their ilk, showing people ice skating by the dozens at Jamaica Pond - and wonder if the ice ever did get really that thick, because it really doesn't anymore.

One of my New Year's Resolutions is to get out and walk more, and now that I'm living over near the Blue Hills and Neponset River - and have a new camera that I am trying to learn - that gives me umpteen more reasons to do so.

No comments: