Friday, May 29, 2009

Little Old Lady Alert

We ran into these two chatting old women in Torino.  Their animated conversation was simply mesmerizing.  The lady on the right gesticulated, emoted and talked on and on, while her companion listened most attentively, but impassively, occasionally getting a word in edgewise.


I took shot after shot, and my companions also took notice, and started handing me their cameras to get a shot of the pair.  Animated, yet oblivious to us and their surroundings.  Completely engaged in their conversation.  Standing in front of graffitti marked walls, and ancient buildings.  They were of a time gone by, of our time, and also timeless.  

On and on the talked, the gestures becoming more animated, then more subtle, the lady on the right seemed to be of very strong opinions.  The lady on the left held onto her packages and mostly listened.  It was hard to tell if she was agreeing, enjoying, or enduring.  

I love the staredown in this shot.

"And another thing..."

For the rest of our trip, whenever a photogenic or interesting cragged female face came into view, I could be sure of an elbow in my side and a whispered "Little Old Lady Alert!"  For all I know, they're still there, in the endless conversation.  

No comments: